Sunday, February 26, 2012

Music-Inspiration beyond the lens


There are so many things in life that inspire me. Benjamin Schwab is one of them.

 I met Ben Schwab this past summer. He is a good friend of one of my cousins. Ben is a musician who is beyond talented. He is one of those rare musical talents who can compose,sing and play a multitude of instruments.

He graced my family with his amazing music on a summer night in the mountains of Yosemite. It was one of those unforgettable moments in life.

It turned out Ben was attending California Institute of The Arts, which happens to be located a few minutes from my home.I was invited to photograph Ben's Graduation Recital last week, in the "Wild Beast" of Cal Arts.My goal was to capture his performance without the use of "flash" photography.I wanted to create images that reflected the beauty of Ben's Music without the intrusion of my Speedlite. 


Ben's musical talent is a huge source of inspiration for me. How this “Inspiration” works...  goes something  like this. The music gets in my head. I listen to the stories in the lyrics. I connect the notes and lyrics from the songs to moments in my own life and those ideas sort of lead me down a path of creativity, eventually leading to composing art with my camera. 

Ben’s magic really comes through his music. He is brave.He does not hold back. He composes and plays his music from his creative soul. Most of all he is inspiring so many others to create,write,play,dance,sculpt and paint extraordinary art.

Thank you Ben, for the wonderful inspiration to create.